As a mom of 8 beautiful kids I am excited to share some of the recipes that we've enjoyed at family mealtime and the stories that go behind them. "Food is so pleasureful and powerful that it plays an essential role in creating a home that works. For your home to feel solid, meaningful, dignified and warm, you must have the means and skills to produce good, nutritious food, to dream up pleasant menus, and to set the table and serve the food in an attractive manner that is familiar and comfortable to guests. " Cheryl Mendelson Home Comforts : The Art and Science of Keeping House

Thursday, August 28, 2014

William Sonoma Tomato, Zucchini, and Fresh Corn Soup





If there is one thing you make during zucchini season this is it!  I've never tasted such fresh, robust flavors all in one!  It's absolutely delicious and healthy all in one!  Now that's what I'm talking about!  I was really blessed this summer to live by neighbors who grew an abundance of vegetables in their gardens and we were the lucky recipients of their extra harvest of zucchini and tomatoes!
 Check out this monstrous zucchini!!!!
  Another reason I enjoyed making this soup is because I thought of my sweet Allie that whole time I made it.  She gave me this William Sonoma Soup of the Day Recipe Book last year.  I only have 362 more soup recipes to try !  :)
Here's the recipe:
Tomato, Zucchini and Fresh Corn Soup (serves 4-6)
2 zucchini, trimmed, halved and sliced
3 Tbsp olive oil
Salt and freshly ground pepper
1 yellow onion, chopped
5 cloves garlic, minced
4 plum tomatoes, chopped
4 cups vegetable or chicken broth
1 cup corn kernals (from about 2 ears)
1/3 cup chopped basil
Preheat the oven to 400.  Toss the zucchini with 1 Tbsp of the oil and season with salt and pepper.

Spread on baking sheet and roast for 20 minutes.  Set aside.
(Oh my gosh don't these roasted zucchini look amazing!  I probably snacked on half  of them before they made it into the soup!  This really gives the soup a deep, robust flavor)


In a large, heavy pot, warm the remaining 2 Tbsp oil over medium-high heat.  Add the onion and garlic and saute until soft, about 5 minutes (* I like to let my onions start cooking first and add garlic the last few minutes so they don't burn.)

Add the tomatoes, stir to combine and cook for 3 minutes
Add the broth and bring to a boil.  (I used chicken broth)
Reduce the heat to low and simmer for 20 minutes.  Remove from the heat and let cool slightly.
Puree half of the soup in a blender.
Return to the pot and season with salt and pepper. 
 (At this stage of the soup, it tasted so fresh and amazing that in the future, I will make a tomato basil soup out of it following the previous steps, adding basil and cream)

Back to the recipe.... Return the soup to a boil, add the corn, and cook for 5 minutes
Add the zucchini
and stir in the basil
Serve!
 The only change I would make is that I need to probably triple the recipe for my family of 10!  I  also added some fresh parmesan cheese on top and it really gave it even more of an oomph!  Absolutely mouth watering and zesty!  A Must Try!
 






1 comment:

  1. ooh, yummy! I need to try this. You make it look and sound so good! I want to try it as the tomato basil soup you suggested. Hey, let's get together and make it

    ReplyDelete